Sunday, December 1, 2013
Role of Newspapers in the current society
Ok! Now, I would have preferred that this be something I put on Twitter, since I believe this is a topic, which would have more takers in there. However, the word constraint will not let me do so.
Hmmm! Well, let me think If i can add it to my blog and give the link to Twitter. Maybe, later.
Anycase, since it was boiling in my mind for sometime, I have decided to voice it here, for the time being.
I have always believed that the job of a newspaper is to work for the people, providing them with the information they need to know . Fight against the injustices, prevailing in the society, at least to some extent.
I have earlier on realised that this is just a romanticised view of how in actuality, a paper works. Well, I will not get into all that now.
The Tehelka incident only reconfirmed my views that if the owner of a paper, who normally canvases for woman equality and rights has a double face and the ex-managing editor would prefer to support the management rather than voice concern or fight for the dignity of a colleague, then what would be the policy of such a paper?
That apart, seem I am diagressing from the point I wish to make. There was recent furor over the NCW letting out name of the victim in the Tehelka case, which in fact is not the first time it's been done.
Even, some papers have gone on to reveal name of victims in some cases. Here, I come to the format, one considers as apt for a news report.
A journalism student would be well aware of W`s....that is important in a news report, the when, where, why, to whom, who did it and not to forget, the H of How.
My question, however is how does the to whom in a rape or molestation case, actually matter to the public? The victim, who as already undergone so much of pain and humiliation, can and in fact should be a nameless faceless person.
People, should in fact be more worried of the heniousness of such crimes, rather than enjoying reading the gory details.
When it is so, isn't the who did it and the where that should be given more importance? In fact, it is more the right of the people to know that details, so that anymore such incidents can be avoided.
Isn't it the right of the papers, to ensure that the people are in fact forewarned of such people and more so, the place?
Why I talk about the where factor, is that in the recent rape case, of an IT professional, at a Pozhiyoor resort, papers have gone on in detail about the information on the victim, in fact only the name has so far, not been revealed.
However, the papers have not mentioned the name of the Resort, which is such an unsafe place that a kick could open the back door of the room giving way for the rapists to enter.
Shouldn't other people be made aware that their safety is in trouble, at such a place,where not only back doors can be kicked open, but as well, the management could not be bothered to inform the police of the same. At the same time, they are more concerned with their so called reputation or business.
My question remains, is the victim or the crime in itself and the place or perpetrator more important for us to know, so that atleast another crime, as such can be averted?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment